Getting your Instruction Permit and completing Behind the Wheel (BTW):
GETTING YOUR INSTRUCTION PERMIT:
1. You must complete all 30 hours of Online Classroom
2. You must be at least 15 ½.
3. You must enroll in a Driving School “Behind The Wheel Course”. Use the links below to select a location where you plan to do your Behind the Wheel lesson and complete the BTW Course enrollment with that location following their procedure.
Links to Enroll in a Behind the Wheel Program or Course - Select the location where you plan to do your Behind the Wheel lessons
Hartland Area (this location served by KC's Driving School License #541)
Pewaukee Area (this location served by KC's Driving School License #541)
Waukesha Area (this location served by KC's Driving School License #541)
Watertown, (this location served by KC's Driving School License #136)
Lake Mills (this location served by KC's Driving School License #136)
Kenosha, Salem and surrounding areas (served by 5 Star Driving School)
Racine and surrounding areas (served by L&B Driving School)
Janesville and surrounding areas (served by Best Defense Driving School)
Milwaukee, Oak Creek and surrounding areas (served by Safety First Driving School)
Brian's School of Driving - (608) 343-3069
Bills Driving School - (715) 273-5161
4. Must present required documents at the DMV;
1. MV3001 Permit Application form signed and dated the driving school providing your Behind the Wheel Training.
NOTE: After you have enrolled (registered and paid for your BTW Course) Your BTW Driving School will sign an MV3001 form for you to take to the DMV. Email your Behind the Wheel Driving School for details on how to obtain the MV3001. Keep in mind a driving school’s signature is only valid for 60 days and you must complete your first Behind the Wheel lesson within that 60 day period from the date they sign the form.
2. A government issued original birth certificate.
3. Social Security Card - if you don’t have the card bring the number and another form of ID such as the student’s school ID.
5. Must pass the written test. Click HERE for more information on that.
6. The student’s parent or legal guardian must sign their MV3001 temps application at the DMV with the student. If the parent or legal guardian can not be present at the DMV, there is a space on the form to have the form Notarized.
Soon after the student obtains their instruction permit they will begin the behind the wheel lessons.
You must complete your first Behind the Wheel lesson within 60 days from the date your Behind the Wheel Driving School signs the MV3001 form.
There are six lessons two hours each.
Students drive one hour and observe another student one hour.
Most students do their lessons about 2-3 weeks apart. However, it is up to students to schedule their appointments.
Students need to make sure that they complete their BTW’s in time for them to get their license.
Realize that there are times when openings for BTW’s may be 3 or 4 weeks out.
Students can complete all of their behind the wheel lessons ASAP if they wish, though not less than 3 weeks from start to finish and a maximum of two lessons per week (according to state law).
These lessons are designed to work in conjunction with the 30 hours driving practice that students are to receive with their parents (10 of the 30 hours must be at night).
If you need to get a replacement or renewed instructions permit your Behind the Wheel driving school MUST sign another MV3001 Form.
SCHEDULING BTW LESSONS
Hartland, Oconomowoc, Pewaukee and Waukesha area students use Online Scheduling.
KC's Watertown and Lake Mills schedule their BTW's manually. Please call their office: 920-261-1750
For our partner driving schools, contact them directly (email or phone) to schedule BTW Lessons